Automobile Collisions FAQ

What should I do if I am injured in an automobile collision?

If you are injured in an automobile collision or you have suffered a loss of property you should seek medical attention. You must report your accident to your automobile insurance company within seven days of the accident. You may be entitled to certain accident benefits from your insurance company. Even after receiving accident benefits you may need to file a personal injury tort claim against the at-fault driver to cover your losses.

Is there a time limit to file a personal injury claim against an at-fault driver?

Those who have been injured in an automobile collision or have lost a loved one as a result of a collision may have only two years from the date of their accident in order to start a tort claim for their losses. 

Does it matter who was at fault in an automobile collision when making a claim for accident benefits from your own insurance company?

No, you can make an accident benefits claim for injuries suffered in a automobile collision regardless of fault. Drivers, passengers and even pedestrians who have been injured as a result of a collision can make a claim.

What should I bring with me when I first meet with my lawyer?

If available, your lawyer will need information such as police reports of the collision, medical reports detailing the injuries you and those in the vehicle with you suffered, photos of the crash scene and vehicle damage, and the names and insurance contact information of all the parties involved.

A word from our clients

default image

"Andy Rady is an excellent lawyer who is also a talented, caring, compassionate person. He listens carefully and treats clients with respect."
Read More

October 16, 2019

<< Prev
Next >>

HARRISON PENSA ™ is a full-service law firm representing private & business interests throughout southwestern Ontario.

 find out more
WE MOVED. 130 Dufferin Avenue, Suite 1101[More]