Dangerous Premises FAQ

Can I file a personal injury claim if I was hurt on someone else’s property?

Yes, you can. People who own property or even those who occupy rented property are responsible to see that their property is safe. Accidents that are caused by improper maintenance or design of another person’s property are eligible for compensation through personal injury claims.

What are some of the conditions that can lead to the filing of a personal injury claim?

The condition of a property that can lead to a dangerous property claim include things like inadequate lighting; badly maintained sidewalks and stairs; lack of signs warning of slippery surfaces or water spills; and failure to remove hazards like ice, snow or standing water. Lack of adequate security as well as falling objects, like the collapse of a product display, can also be grounds for a personal injury claim.

What should I do if I am injured because of unsafe premises?

First you should get proper medical attention for the injuries you have suffered. You should also notify the property owner so that an incident report can be generated. If your injury took place on city or government owned property, you may be required to provide written notice of your injury within 10 days. If possible take pictures of the unsafe property where you were injured. Also be sure to note the date and time of day when your injury took place.

A word from our clients

default image

"I just wanted to take a moment to let you know of my experience with Mr.Sean Mackintosh and his Team (Kristine Huston). Read More

October 16, 2019

<< Prev
Next >>

HARRISON PENSA ™ is a full-service law firm representing private & business interests throughout southwestern Ontario.

 find out more
WE MOVED. 130 Dufferin Avenue, Suite 1101[More]